Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaBloPoMo 1: Favorite Thing About Writing

I'm doing NaBloPoMo, or as us normal people call it, "National Blog Posting Month." It's supposed to be in lieu of NaNoWriMo, which would be a ludicrous project for me to undertake as I'm moving my entire life across the globe this month. Yes, I know I'm a day late. I'm still posting 30 times. Now, they may be late, or more than one per day, but I'm claiming immunity to any scorn with the excuse of new teacher, culture shock, and life relocation. So you can forgive me ahead of time.

 Prompt #1: What is your favorite thing about writing?

When people ask me what my favorite movie is, I list off five. I'm not good at isolating my absolute favorite, but I'll go ahead and narrow it down to three.

1) The people. The writing world is full of unexpected friends. I've met so many wonderful people through writing groups at school, book festivals, random encounters, and classes about writing. Even on Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook, there is support and words of kindness to be found. Writing love <3

2) The "Aha!" moments. They're amazing and they creep up on you without warning. Sometimes they're about a character, dialogue, or a plot hole easily fixed. The biggest moment I had was in Texas, during winter break of my senior year in college. I stayed up all night to write a short story, something I'd never done outside of class. To this day I'm most proud of that story, and that night I realized that I not only enjoyed writing more than anything, but that I was proud of the final products.

3) The every day toil. Inch by inch, word by word, page by page. It's amazing to create something out of nothing, to coax my mind to imagine the next scene, and the next. There's nothing like it.

Alright. Post one, over.

No comments:

Post a Comment