Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Beyonce and Mr. Hyde

Song of the day:


Yeah, that's the kind of mood I'm in, and Destiny's Child is the perfect cure. Actually, no. I think that listening to music that echoes the mood one feels only exacerbates it, though I'm still on the fence about whether that's a bad thing or not.

Today in English we're talking about Robert Louis Stevenson, who authored the famous Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The lecture is pretty enjoyable, considering how much it talks about change. In the words of my professor, "What happens when voluntary change becomes involuntary?"

As usual, it makes me think of werewolves and the problems my main protagonist in M-town faces. Obviously I can't divulge TOO much, but let's just say she'd never choose to turn into Mr. Hyde. She'd run the other way or even drink poison before choosing to make that transformation.

But that's the thing, isn't it? That particular change isn't voluntary for Rachel, but certain changes CAN be. It all depends on the way she views the situation. She can, like Dr. Jekyll, view her situation as a transformation into a monster, OR she can just view it as different.

Granted, Mr. Hyde was "A soul boiling with causeless hatreds" and Rachel just turns into a wolf, but still. You get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment