Sunday, April 11, 2010

Green Tea

It's awesome, and I'm becoming slightly obsessed with it. Arg.

My life is going well I suppose. Not to sound like a bitter girl living the upper middle class life, or anything. This quarter is going well, the weather is increasingly beautiful (although last week was so damn warm we got to go to the beach and this week... not so much), and I'm writing like a fiend.

Summer plans are almost finalized: About a month in Puerto Rico (bumming at a combination of my amazing relatives' houses and a hotel), A bit more than a week in Florida (A bit at the Queen's house near Orlando and a bit in a Key Largo hotel), and a whole bunch of time in Texas. I think I'll spend a grand total of two weeks in my hometown, Milwaukee, which will save me my sanity.

I like my hometown like I like my coffee: In small doses and only when I need it. Don't get me wrong, I miss my mom, I miss my friends, and above all, I miss my cat, but I can't take Milwaukee for very long before the insanity factor starts to creep in.

In fact, I can't foresee finding ANYWHERE I'll be able to live for very long before I get antsy and ready to leave. I'm not quite that kind of person.

I blame it on Eliza and the Thornberries, one of my favorite cartoons. The show is about a girl who can talk to animals, but as cool as that is, it's not why I loved it. See, their parents dragged Eliza and her sister all over the world, and as a result, they saw so many things that I'll probably have to work my entire life to see. I just think that would be so cool, you know?

Just traveling and living my life. That's what I want to do. Which brings me to my post-college plans:

1) Sheepherding in New Zealand. No, seriously. It's a legit thing. You live in someone's house and herd sheep as a part time job, and in exchange, you get free room and board.

2) Sailing. There's a training program in the last two weeks of July, and after that, you're pretty much certified to work in most tall-sail ships. It's a lot of hard labor, but an alumnus from NU does it, and she loves it. Traveling, drinking, sailing on the high seas? Count me in.

3) Farming. Similar to sheepherding, except on a farm.

4) California. Ok, that's not a job title, but similarly to one of my possible summer plans, you can work at a national park doing maid service or working at a shop, and you get to live in a cabin smack in the middle of the red wood forests. Except for the bears, spiders, and tics, this sounds golden to me.

5) I guess Grad school should be on this list, shouldn't it? Sigh. I'm not sure if grad school is right for me, but I am sure of one thing: I'm not going STRAIGHT out of college. It's just not happening. I need a breather, time to live my life before spending it studying somebody else's.

6) Writing. I'll do this no matter what, but if I could be a full time writer from the get-go, my life would be made. I'm up for it. 8 hours of writing a day? Yes please. Getting mad money for it? Even better. Now, I'm not foolish, and I don't expect this to happen exactly like I've dreamed. But it's just as foolish to rule a future like this out as it is to expect it with open arms. (Note, this is my eventual goal in life...)

7) Literary Agent. I'll soon be applying to be an intern, and I'd sift through the slush pile. I just think it'd be cool to help some good writers get a foot in the door of the publishing world.

8) Hunter. Not the redneck kind. More like Sam and Dean Winchester, minus the apocalypse. But that's probably because I've been watching Supernatural like it ain't no thang. My bad.

That's all I've got right now, though the list keeps growing as I meet more people.

Off to bed, as I have a 6am shift at work tomorrow. Kill me please (but not really cause I'm in the middle of a book).

1 comment:

  1. I'm behind on my blog reading/commenting, but I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog! Your post-college plans sound AMAZING. Wow! Can I join you in New Zealand?

    *LOVE* the name of your blog. And have fun in Puerto Rico this summer! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete