Monday, July 13, 2009

Prada and Prejudice


 I've discovered this new book out (BRAND spanking new, hit the stores on June 11th) called Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard. I think the title sounds pretty cute, although I have to admit that the title is not what caught my attention. It was the newness of it... 

Let me explain. See, I was stalking one of my new favorite authors, Richelle Mead, on Razorbill. I wanted to know whether or not they took unsolicited submissions (otherwise I have to get an agent, which I'll probably have to do anyways). Sad part: they don't. Happy part: I discovered Prada and Prejudice. 

As you all can tell by simply clicking on my profile, I follow A LOT of blogs. Not only are they a fun, less guilty alternative to wasting endless amounts of time on facebook, but they are an invaluable resource to aspiring authors such as myself. 

So I clicked on Mandy Hubbard's blog, started reading about her book, and the recent process of having it unleashed on the shelves. A quote from her blog, if you will: 

"When I walked into the teen section, there were four or five teen girls in the aisle, picking up books and talking about which ones they liked. (One had all three of Melissa Marr's out and was talking about them.)  After I signed all five copies and put stickers on them, I put them back. And when I took out my camera to take a picture, one of them stared at me. I said, "Sorry, I probably look psychotic. I"m just excited because I wrote one of these." They asked which one, I told them, and then embarassedly left the aisle and went over to the romance section. 

While standing in the romance section I could hear them talk about my book. And one of them started reading the summary to the others, and it was SOOO hard not to slowly inch closer and closer to hear everything they said! But standing there listening to real teens read from my book was the highlight of the entire day for me. I held it together while in the store and then kinda-maybe-sorta burst into tears once in my truck. The cool part, though, is that one of the girls convinced her mom to buy the book."


I completely freaked after reading this, because in my imagination where I end up a published author, successful and happy, writing my days away, things like this would happen to me. I was gushing with happiness for her and excitement for what might happen in my own future. It was ridiculous. 

The book itself. Yes. haha, sorry, in all of my excitement I forgot to mention that it's next on my list, despite not being in my usual genre (you know, magic, crazed adventure, betrayal, death and power and such). Prada and Prejudice is about a girl named Callie, who, upon buying and trying on her first pair of high heels (prada, no less. Surprise, right?) falls, hits her head, and wakes up in the year 1815. In England. 

Whoa

So two people, Emily and Alex, mistake her for a long lost friend. She becomes friends with them both and eventually has to help Emily escape an arranged marriage, figure out her feelings for Alex, and find a way to get back home. 

I'm a sucker for time travel and England, so despite the fact that Mandy likes Taylor Swift (an artist who, despite my best efforts, I'm beginning to warm up to) this book is definitely on my to-read list. 

Woot for new authors! Good luck Mandy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book.
    btw I love time travel too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Taylor Swift! Yay for reading! Yay for new books! Yay for the progress on your novel! Do I get to read any more of it? Or should I wait until its done?

    ReplyDelete