Monday, July 5, 2010

Four Years (A playlist, if you will)

So that's the working title (god I hope it changes) for my WIP, and I finally pushed through the opening scene today. Don't look at me like that. I've written other scenes, so it's not like I JUST started.

But it feels like it. I still have no idea what's going to happen, and one of the characters already stubbornly surprised me. It's exciting, and once I sat down and really wrote, amazing awesome writerly things started to happen. YAY!

At this point, I definitely have a playlist (even if I don't have a working outline), so here it is (slightly abridged):

Beautiful Dirty Rich: Lady GaGa
Radio: Beyonce
Half-Assed: Ani DiFranco
White Tooth Man: Iron and Wine
Rangers: A Fine Frenzy
Thanks for the Memories: Fall Out Boy
Handlebars: Flobots
The Leaving Song: A.F.I.
Ordinary: Train
Points of Authority: Linkin Park
Momentum: The Hush Sound
Use Somebody: Kings of Leon
Your New Twin Sized Bed: Death Cab for Cutie
Hands Held High: Linkin Park
The Day the World Went Away: Nine Inch Nails
Who's to Say: Vanessa Carlton
Genius Next Door: Regina Spektor
All That I am: Rob Thomas
How to Save a Life: The Fray
Ain't No Rest for the Wicked: Cage the Elephant
Now Comes the Night: Rob Thomas
Ignorance: Paramore
Poker Face: Lady GaGa
Love for a Child: Jason Mraz

The combination is enough to get the juices flowing, especially Handlebars. That song is MAGIC in relation to this WIP. Pure. Magic. I also need to get some traditional Brazilian music up in this list (for various reasons). Needless to say, I'm excited.

What songs get your juices flowing? Or do you need quiet to write?

1 comment:

  1. ABSOLUTELY need music but it depends which characters are involved...every one has a different rhythm, walks to a different beat. It's so strange to talk about characters this way, because they are very real. You have conversations with them, they drive you insane, they surprise the hell out of you. I am always amazed at whose voice won't disappear...such an amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete