Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What is your dream place to live?

Yesterday at NSTF (the writing group I'm in here on campus), we had a writing prompt that didn't quite work out: write 400 words on your ideal place.

Today, at my work meeting (that I'm still in. Don't judge me) our "once-around" was to tell everyone our dream place to live.

I think the universe is sending me a bit of a message.

As a college senior, I am supposed to know what I want to do, and where I want to do it. It's no secret that I want to writewritewrite for the rest of my life, but the dilemma arises whenever I try to imagine where I'd like to live.

I know where I'd like to travel; Europe (Denmark, Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Italy, Greece, and Russia, those are just a few, for the sake of specificity), Japan, Israel, Iceland, Canada, Egypt, India, and various places in my homeland (Hawaii, Alaska, California, Florida, Colorado, Washington, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Michigan, Oregon, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Maine, just to start the list. I kind of want to see all of the USA).

I know where I might like to spend a few years of my life: New York, somewhere in Europe, California...

But when it comes to LIVING? As in, spending a fair amount of years in one place? It just seems preposterous to me. While I live with some fantasies of being a nomad for the rest of my life, I know that the chances are slim to none of actually doing that. Still, though, the idea of planting my life in one place for more than five or ten years grates on my skin like sandpaper. I don't know if I can do it. I don't even know if it's worth worrying about. But it's scary as hell.

I guess things will work themselves out, something that tends to happen (though I'm quick to forget it) no matter how much I stress about it.

But I digress. What is your dream place to live (in 400 words or less)?

I think this is close to what mine would look like:

No comments:

Post a Comment