Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Wake me up when September ends

Green Day aside, I can't wait till October shows its beautiful masked face! It just so happens that October is my favorite month of the year. Fall is my favorite season, and Halloween is my favorite holiday!

Any other autumn lovers out there? Can I get a woot woot?

I wish I had something cool to say about my writing, but I've got nothing except a recommendation that you've probably heard before: Read Stephen King's ON WRITING. If you want to be a writer, it's an amazing book. That's not to say that you can't write without it, but it's kind of like a tic tac. Can you breathe without it? Yeah. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Honestly though, the book is a treasure trove of advice, good habits to create, and stories about his own trials and triumphs as a writer. I'm not done with it yet, but it's a great read so far.

I'm all moved in (but not all unpacked) in my shiny new apartment, and school starts next week. So I'm trying to get all my reading/writing on a roll before my life turns into studystudystudyworkworkwork. We all know that life goes downhill from there. Ok, not really, but it'll get stressful.

I finished Mockingjay a week or so back, and I still don't know what to think about it. Part of me truly loved it, in a way that almost compares to Harry Potter. I cried, I laughed, I cheered for Gale and Peeta. In the end, though, I'm not sure how I felt about it. A small part of me hated it, but not in a way that made me regret reading it. I highly recommend the Hunger Games series to anyone who likes reading (even those who don't. I got my book-hating roommate to read it. SCORE).

Then I read Paranormalcy a few hours ago. That one, I can more safely say, that I liked. I'm not sure about love. It was a cool take on supernatural creatures, and it makes sense. It felt a little like Artemis Fowl meets Vampire Academy. There was a lot of cool mythology built in with some great attitude. I'm excited to get my hands on the second and third installations.

Next on my to-read list is "Firelight" which is sitting on my desk thanks to a wonderful blog contest by Katie Flanagan. Go check out her blog here. I'm quite excited to read Firelight, since dragons aren't as "saturated" as vampires/werewolves, so it's bound to be a fresh new experience. Not that I hate vampires or werewolves. Clearly.

I have a pretty long reading list: American Gods, Stardust, Song For Night, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. That's only what I have waiting for me on my desk. Part of me loves it when I have this many good books waiting to be opened, but part of me mourns the fact that I can't read all of them at once. I love the worlds, the characters, the stories. They're so addictive, and I'm always ready for another.

As for my own stories, well, that's not going quite as swimmingly. I'm still daydreaming about Rachel and her werewolf friends, so it's hard to give Danny and Co. a fair shot. They may be bad ass humans, but I think I need a solid "villain," because right now it's just the system. Very stickittotheman of me, I think. We'll see how this pans out, because I don't want to turn into thatgirlwhowroteabookonceithink to all my friends and family. I want to turn into thatgirlwhokeptwritinguntilshewroteanawesomebook. That would be killer.

Speaking of Killer, go see Kick Ass if you haven't already. It's an amazing movie, and if you don't mind a little gore, the story makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment